Wednesday, March 12, 2014

an ode to the soft bra


(Wow! Two posts in one day? Go me!)

In a world where the public's fascination with breasts is absolutely absurd, it is nice to know that there is hope for the "itty bitty titty committee" (yeah, I said it) in the soft bra (aka bralette). Okay, so maybe I'm being dramatic. But, let's be real here- society's opinion of the female body is both disheartening and intangible. Will someone please explain to me just HOW I am supposed to be a size zero, a D cup, 5'10 with long legs, and have a teeny-tiny waist all at once? So far, I have not figured out a way to live up to the mass market's standards. As a very average teenage girl, I feel both disgusted and disgusting when I am shopping for bathing suits/bras, and I am forced to compare my normal body to the fantasy bodies of supermodels that have been airbrushed/ photoshopped to an ideal image conceived by whoever it is that runs the advertising of mass retailers. However, there is hope yet. The popularization of the soft bra/bralette has made me feel okay about the fact that I may NEVER exceed an A cup, and increased imagery/advertising of BEAUTIFUL girls with SMALL boobs that HAVEN'T been technologically augmented helps me feel good about my body. Yes, many of these models are stick thin (which is probably part of the reason why they have small boobs, but that's a whole other issue for later discussion), but this is a start. The amazing soft bra, otherwise known as the glorified training bra, makes me feel so much better because I can wear pretty underthings (that my boobs actually fill), just like my big-boobed female counterparts! So, what does this all mean? think it means that there IS hope for society. We have lived in a world where the image of the female body in the media/advertising is so digitally altered that us NORMAL girls feel like total shit, but awareness IS being raised and society IS starting to accept us just as we are. Things are going up. Not only that, but soft bras are just so unbelievably COMFORTABLE! I can be comfy AND beautiful? Who knew?! To end my rant about society and boobs, I present to you a few links to some great bralettes (aka my boobs' best friends) for you to try out yourself!


(from cheap to ridiculously expensive)
Forever 21
Urban Outfitters
Urban Outfitters
Free People
Free People
Free People
Fleur of England
La Perla

No comments:

Post a Comment